Over 300,000 children worldwide develop cancer each year. Childhood cancer is often curable, with an 84% survival rate in high-income countries. However, in many low-income countries survival rates are 10% or lower with many children never even receiving a diagnosis, instead they die of a mystery illness without even palliative care.
We are a young, ambitious and innovative charity working to redress the global inequality in the provision of cancer treatment for children in low- and middle-income countries. We currently support 9 programmes in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Our aim is to increase the number of children that are diagnosed with cancer and their survival and quality of life. We do this by promoting twinning partnerships between hospitals in developing countries and those in the developed world, funding awareness raising programmes and providing psycho-social support to families, we give more children a faster route to better treatment.
We currently work in ten countries across Africa, Asia and Central America. Since we started working in Ghana in 2010, we have more than tripled the number of children diagnosed through our programme and more than tripled survival rates, which means that ten times as many Ghanaian children now survive cancer each year. In 2019 we launched an exciting new partnership with UBS Optimus Foundation to develop a centre of excellence in Ghana to train the next generation of paediatric oncologists for west Africa and beyond.
The post holder will lead on raising income from Charitable Trusts, Foundations and Statutory sources to fund World Child Cancer’s programmatic work. Working closely with the Programmes Team you will research and identify potential funders and develop comprehensive funding proposals. You will also produce appropriate and timely reports.
The post holder will be focussed on the income, passionate about World Child Cancer’s vision, with a keen eye for detail.
This role will have a direct impact on the number of children with cancer we are able to support in the future. We need someone with ambition, drive and passion who is hungry to grow income further.
Key elements of the role
- To reach or exceed the annual income target set within the defined expenditure budget.
- In liaison with the Director of Fundraising and Communications, lead on raising income from charitable trusts, foundations and statutory sources.
- To effectively and appropriately steward trusts, foundations and statutory funders who are currently forecast to raise £1.5m in 2020.
- To work with the Charity’s Trustees and other key supporters to identify leads and connections.
- To undertake research into trusts, foundations and statutory funders and execute a calendar of approaches.
- To work with the charity’s Programmes Team to identify projects and package these accordingly with robust budgets.
- To support World Child Cancer US in identifying and producing robust proposals where we can add value to our programmatic work.
- To ensure all relevant staff are comprehensively briefed in a timely manner ahead of meeting any prospective or existing funders.
- To maximise return from our networking events.
- To represent the Charity with donors and at events.
- To ensure all donor communications are logged on the CRM database (Raisers Edge)
- To deliver exceptional supporter care.
- To ensure the Charity complies with Fundraising best practice and any relevant legislation at all times.