World Child Cancer has been chosen to participate in The Big Give Christmas Challenge 2016 to raise funds for our Philippines programme. The Big Give is a non-profit website which enables donors to find and support charity projects. During the Christmas Challenge, donations from the public are matched by donations from philanthropists.
There are about 1,000 cases of childhood cancer on the economically deprived island of Mindanao annually - but only 30% of cases are diagnosed. Survival rates are low – around 20% (compared to 80% in high income countries) - because many children are diagnosed late due to low awareness about childhood cancer. Worse still, about 70% of patients abandon treatment - usually due to the financial & logistical pressures of long-term treatment for their families, for whom travel to the primary hospital in Davao City is also too expensive & too far. Find out more about our work in Mindanao.
Our project will improve the odds for children through 4 key aims:
- Further develop operational satellite centres to improve early diagnosis & access to treatment
- Train frontline doctors & nurses to provide optimum care for young cancer patients
- Reduce abandonment rates from 70% to 50%
- Fund chemotherapy treatment and transport costs
We know from experience that it is possible to increase survival rates to 50% or better in the Philippines.
If we can raise £30,000 through the Big Give, we estimate we can save the lives of half of the 300 children who will need our help in 2017.
The online matched funding Appeal will run for just 72 hours from 12pm (midday) on Tuesday 29th November to Thursday 1st December. Please save the date in your diary!
Online donations received via The Big Give website during the 72 hours can be doubled and will improve access to quality diagnosis, treatment and care for children with cancer in the Philippines; and expand the reach of childhood cancer services and support for families.
- Our aim is to raise £15,000 from online donations in 72 hours
- The online donations are then matched meaning our £15,000 could be doubled to £30,000.
- £5 is the minimum donation, £5,000 is the maximum donation
To donate between 29th November and 1st December during the Challenge please visit The Big Give website.